Lactation Services and Consultants
The lactation specialists at Northeast Pediatrics understand how important it is to take care of both the newborn infant and the mother following birth. For the majority of mothers, breastfeeding can be easy and happens with minimal difficulty. Some moms find breastfeeding more challenging, particularly during the first two weeks. Our lactation specialists can make a world of difference during this important period.
We are experienced and we are here to help you. We know that difficulties can arise at any point during the breastfeeding process. Our skills in assessing moms, their babies, and their individual circumstances have benefited many families over the years.
Our services for Northeast Pediatrics patients
- •Breastfeeding consultation and close follow-up for first-time mothers and for mothers who encountered problems previously with breastfeeding and are seeking a positive exerience
- •Postnatal counseling in the office one to three days after hospital discharge
- •Coordinated newborn care and lactation care during the same office visit
- •Evaluation of home support and advice on easing the transition
- •Individualized instruction (not group classes) to help mothers fine-tune breastfeeding techniques
- •Home visits under special circumstances, individually arranged
- •Caring for premature infants
- •Meeting the special needs of babies with cleft palate and other facial anomalies
- •Breastfeeding following multiple birth (twins, etc.)
- •Guidance for mothers with breast augmentation or breast anomalies
Northeast Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine provides lactation services to our patients because we know breastfeeding, even if just for the first several weeks following birth, promotes the baby's immune system. In-depth studies show many long-term advantages for breastfed babies, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies breastfeed for at least six months.
The decision to breastfeed, however, is a personal decision every mother must make for herself and her infant. We are here to support mothers who breastfeed, as well as mothers who choose to bottle feed their babies. We will guide you through the weaning process and follow your baby's progress with the expert care that years of training and experience provide.
How can we help with more complex breastfeeding issues?
In addition to being well grounded in the physical and psychological aspects of breastfeeding, some of our lactation specialists have advanced certification as International Board Certified Lactation Consultants. Our team members have supplemental training in the social and cultural customs of a wide range of nationalities as they pertain to infant care and breastfeeding.
How are clients referred for lactation consultation?
Clients come to us through different avenues.
- •We see mothers and babies here at Northeast Pediatrics as part of our standard practive, which includes lactation counseling as needed.
- •We also see mothers on referral from other physicians' offices, Some of our lactation patients do self-refer. Our preference, however, is to collaborate with local physician practices because we understand the importance of maintaining the primary-care relationship you have already established with your doctor. With a referral from your doctor, lactation counseling is more likely to be covered by insurance; however, we recommend that you check the terms of your individual policy.
Will your insurance cover lactation consulting?
Insurance companies do cover the services of a lactation consultant as part of routine well-baby visits.
If you have questions about coverage, it's wise to contact your health insurance provider. To find out more about the health insurance plans Northeast Pediatrics participates with, you can go to our policies and billing page.